The semiURBAN Kitchen:
Because a complete life includes cooking!
We typically don’t have time to make a complicated and tasty meal after a long day and long commute home. We want to, but we’re just too tuckered out. But we’ve recently discovered that one of the best ways to make a simple meal better is to serve it up with a side of roasted broccoli. This is a new concept for us. I don’t know why we never thought of it, but hats off to our friend Mark for introducing us to this delicious side dish. Plus, there’s always broccoli at the market, so we can swing through on our way home from the train. We love anything that’s easy, convenient, and delicious.
And since you likely don’t have a lot of time either, let’s just get to it. Here’s how we’ve been serving it up, mostly with chicken of some sort. But it would go great with beef, or even fish.
3-4 cups broccoli trimmed (about 1/2 inch of stem remains)
Zest from one lemon
2-3T olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic
Crushed black pepper
This is really simple folks. We’re talking a few steps, and in less than 30 minutes, you’ve got a great meal.
1) Preheat oven to 425
2) Cut up 3-4 cups of broccoli stems and place in a bowl.
3) Add lemon. Lots of it. Squeeze half a lemon over the broccoli, and add 1/2-cup lemon zest. Stir
4) Add a few tablespoons olive oil. Enough to coat the broccoli.
5) Slice the garlic into thin strips, and add to bowl.
6) Mix it all together and place on a large baking tray or cookie sheet
7) Roast for 25 minutes until the tips look just a little burnt.
And that’s it. Simple, but delicious. Enjoy!